Kindergarten Writing Center

So since starting my version of daily 5, work on writing has been one of my students favorite places to go.  In my classroom, there are still assigned where they go but do get some decision in what they do there.  I know this may not seem traditional as far as writing centers go but we do get plenty of other chances to write as a whole group and working on concepts so this fits perfectly for the beginning of the kindergarten year.

It's so popular my students choose to do these during their free choice time!  Free choice and they choose writing....it's that good!

To start, currently I have 5 options for writing - all housed on one shelf near our art center (but serves for writing station as well!)


Here is a picture of what the shelf look like. 


Housed on the shelf are a container of dry erase markers and a few erasers (we share between 2 people) and some word ring cards .  Get them for free by clicking the link.  They have sight words that are common and lists for every season/event throughout the year!


Here are our 4 dry erase binders each with a different focus!  I'll walk you through each one and then address what else you can do in writing.


Perfect for my higher kiddos that can work on some concepts that are traditionally forgotten but are definitely important for the younger elementary. This book has practice pages for name, address, phone number, date, etc.... all with examples of how to write.  You write them in fun ways like tall, small, or rainbow! Here are some examples: 

   

If you want your own copy, click any of the pictures above
2. Letter ID and writing binder

Get it for free using the link above, inside are pages where we can find the letter and pages with practicing writing and finding!  Another fantastic resources and very popular!


3. Letter Tracing Book = another freebie from a great blogger over at Kindergarten Smorgasboard

Pretty self explanatory - you can trace the letters which some of my students choose to do otherwise you can use the marker and practice writing them.  Sometimes they work in pairs and one does the capital and the other does the lowercase letter. Here's a look at the inside:
                                                  

4.  Number Writing practice has two options.  Both involve different writing options check them out below.



I love how you can represent the number so many different ways for practice! Also in the binder are these sheets: 

Writing the number work and writing sentences - these are at the end because it will take us a little bit to work up to this level. 

5.  The fifth option is to use our personal name sheets  to practice our names our writing sentences, sight words, or words on the rings you saw above. I have had some students that like this option because they can do what they want and as long as they are writing it works for me!

Any other writing center ideas for Kindergarten I should know about?


9 comments

  1. I love all these ideas and can see why it's so popular with the kids. I also usually include some different kinds of writing paper...cards, booklets, lists, etc. that they can write on.

    Danielle
    Carolina Teacher

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know this is from last year, but thank you so much for posting all of this! I taught Kinder for the first time last year and this year I'm really trying hard to make sure we get to a LOT of writing! I've been searching all over for number formation pages that I don't have to buy. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like your ideas. But please call this handwriting. The kiddos need lots of it. But a true writing center must include activities for students to create stories. Some of my students favorites are making books and sticker stories.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just curious how I can keep from depleting my home printer ink??? haha How would one be able to use Office Max, Kinkos, Copico etc? Help, Mama is going broke on ink!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you so much for sharing these great resources -- I've been gathering/printing/organizing in preparation for my toddler who has recently jumped into the wanting to read and write stage at age 3.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I LOVE these ideas!! I can't wait to use them in my classroom!! I clicked on the link to get your word ring cards for free like the post says- but I see they are $4.00 :(

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love it! Just curious....about the rings. The download isn't free anymore. Can the students choose what they want to write or do they have to keep it on the card you put out?

    ReplyDelete
  8. IS there a way to still get these for Free??? Help Please!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Just stumbled across your webpage. Thank you for the share of my number pages. Loved reading your post.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Back to Top alt-text